Community Legal Services, Education and Research Intern
Equal Justice 平義社 is a digitally-committed, purpose-driven start-up that helps people anticipate, prevent and solve their legal problems by bringing free, practical legal education, information and support into the community. Equal Justice 平義社 is both a start-up and spin-off. It is a community impact entity that both extends and continues the team’s 6 years of justice work at NGO PathFinders.
With community and technology at our core, we focus on three areas:
- Legal Services Connecting those in need with those who can help. Our legal case workers and collaborative lawyers provide information and support.
- Education Helping people understand the law and empowering them to help themselves.
- Research Focusing society on the needs we see and the collective impact of helping, while fostering long term support and change for good.
- Supporting clients to understand their rights and obligations as well as help them pursue/defend legal claims through legal services;
- Attending meetings with lawyers, NGO community partners, and government departments;
- Research topical case and policy issues as they arise;
- Analyse cases for outcomes and trends
- Research and preparing legal case histories and studies;
- Research and preparing information and education materials, including e learning tools;
- Support work towards law and policy changes through community engagement; and
- Preparing public submissions.
- Must be enrolled or have graduated in 2020 or 2021 from a post-secondary institution, studying in law, political science, international relations, public administration or related fields
- Hold a valid visa to work in Hong Kong. Equal Justice is unable to sponsor visas, or conduct remote internships.
- Demonstrated an interest in social justice, policy and/or human rights. Previous experience in employment, discrimination, immigration/asylum and criminal law will be an advantage.
- Be fluent in written and spoken English and/or Chinese. Knowledge of
other core Asian languages is useful but not essential.
- Be a dynamic team communicator and collaborative worker, a quick learner who is able to work under pressure and in a growing environment.
- Be excited about working in a digitally-committed, community impact start up and the opportunities and challenges it brings.
- Be creative, innovative and willing to think outside the box.
Watch our internship video and read our detailed description of the internship with application guidelines.
- February 25, 2021